I’m setting up my own transport business.
What do I need to get started?

There’s a lot to consider when you’re starting a new business and becoming an owner operator. As well as the obvious, such as a great business idea and a business plan, there are some important things to consider if you’re going to need transport insurance for your new venture.

We’ve outlined some of the basics you’ll need:

  • Somewhere to park your vehicle (an operating centre)
  • A driving licence for the category of vehicle you intend to operate
  • A suitable contract for work

If you plan to operate a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes for business purposes, you’ll also need:

Once you have these, you’ll need insurance. Call us on 01242 544544, where our friendly, experienced team will take the time to understand your business before recommending the right insurance cover at the right price.

What insurance cover will I need?

When it comes to transport insurance, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Our insurance cover is tailored to your needs, including the type of work you’ll be doing, the type of vehicle or vehicles you plan to operate, the type of goods you’re going to be carrying, and whether or not you intend to employ other drivers.

We can provide:

  • Vehicle insurance (including trailer cover)
  • Goods in transit (GIT) insurance
  • Public liability insurance
  • Employers’ liability insurance (if you have staff)
  • Legal expenses cover

You may also want to consider:

  • Accident and illness cover
  • GAP cover (if you have finance on a vehicle or vehicles)
  • Loss of use cover

When you’re ready to talk about your insurance needs, our experienced staff are here for you.

For more advice and information on setting up a new business, visit www.greatbusiness.gov.uk/start