Broker FAQs

My client needs insurance for up to 4 vehicles

You can find more in our in our up-to 4 vehicles section.

My client needs insurance for 5+ vehicles

You can find more in our in our 5+ vehicles section.

How do I set up an agency?

You can find more in our special setting up an agency guide.

What are the advantages of buying insurance for your client from us?

As a family firm with over 40 years’ experience of the transport industry – including work with some of the country’s leading haulage and own goods carriers –we understand the business you’re in, and can recommend competitively priced cover that’s tailored to your needs.

Friendly accessible staff available to answer queries and provide a quick turn around on quotes for 1-4 vehicles

  • We work closely with our brokers to provide competitive premiums to secure new and retain existing clients.
  • We know the true cost of claims isn’t just the accident – it’s the time their business is off the road as a result. We’re dedicated to keeping your clients moving.
  • Got a business that’s a little different? We like a challenge. We cover everything from tippers to the carriage of llamas.
  • We understand the need for personal contact, and are happy to visit you to discuss opportunities to grow your business

Can I get a quote online?

The simple answer is no. We need to have a clear understanding of your client’s business needs, so that our staff can recommend the right cover and find them the most competitive premium.

Can the client pay for their insurance in instalments?

Yes! We offer various instalment options, all with competitive rates allowing you to spread the cost of your insurance premiums. Contact us for more details 01242 544 544.


How do the recent changes to driving licence law affect business?

Since 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart issued with a photo-card driving licence is no longer valid, and won’t be issued or updated.

As an employer, your client is responsible for ensuring their employees have the licence they need to operate company vehicles. Because they can no longer check the paper licence, they’ll need to use the government’s new online service, which enables them to check driving licence data 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Full details of the service are available here:

You can use the service to check:

  • That the employee holds a full driving licence for the type of vehicle they will be operating
  • That the licence is valid, accurate, and up to date
  • Whether the client is still within their two-year probationary period
  • Whether they have any penalty points or disqualification on their licence

Does the client need employers’ liability insurance?

This insurance covers their legal liability as an employer for any injury to their employees that arises out of, and in the course of their employment. Basic cover applies to casual employees only. If they employ part-time or full-time staff they will need to extend the cover to apply to these employees, too.

What is public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance covers legal liability for any injury or damage to public property that arises from an accident in the course of their business activities, that isn’t covered by the motor policy.

Cover also includes liability for goods sold or supplied – this is known as product liability. Liability arising from goods carried on the vehicle is generally covered by their motor insurance.

How much goods in transit (GIT) insurance does your client require?

Your client’s goods in transit insurance must cover the extent of their financial liability to their customer – in other words, the amount they would need to repay in the event of a loss.

GIT often covers the full value of the goods carried – known as ‘all risks’ or ‘full responsibility’ – and is often arranged by carriers of lower value goods, such as quarry materials and construction materials, as well as specialist carriers of high value goods such as plant, machinery, cars, boats, and portable buildings.

The alternative is to adopt conditions of carriage such as those set out by the RHA (Road Haulage Association) or FTA (Freight Transport Association). These restrict your financial responsibility to your customer to an agreed amount per tonne, and protect you from unknowingly being underinsured. This option is used by most carriers of general goods within the UK.

If goods are being transported internationally – even if they are only involved in the UK leg of the journey – they will need CMR cover.

If the client is planning on travelling abroad. Do they need to change their insurance cover?

Strictly speaking, when travelling within the EU, a green card is not required.

As the UK is part of the European Union, motor insurers automatically provide cover within EU member countries. However, this cover only meets the minimum requirements of the country you’re in, and therefore any damage caused by an accident, fire or theft – even a damaged windscreen – will NOT be covered.

For an additional premium a foreign use extension increases the cover they receive while travelling abroad. Which provides a much wider level of cover. You will also need to alter your goods in transit to include European CMR cover.

Does the policy cover my client for a hire vehicle following an accident?

Unlike many private car insurance policies, commercial vehicle policies don’t provide a hire vehicle in the event of an accident. If your client is involved in an accident that isn’t their fault, you may be able to recover the costs of hiring a vehicle, but this isn’t guaranteed.

To minimise the impact of losing a vehicle following an accident, we recommend loss of use cover. Our exclusive AXA goods in transit and combined liability policy automatically provides up to £100 cover a week, which can be scaled up to meet your requirements.

What happens if the client has an accident outside normal office hours?

The policy wordings contain all the contact numbers they need if they need to make a claim. These are also listed on this site – see How to report a claim.

How long does it take to get a quotation and arrange cover?

It depends on what your client needs to insure, and the time of day we receive your enquiry. We can usually provide quotations for operators of up to four vehicles immediately, or the same day. Quotations for fleets of five or more vehicles take a little longer, as we need to contact our fleet markets for the most competitive prices.

If they are happy to proceed then we can provide immediate cover.

The client is setting up their own transport business with just one vehicle. What insurance would they need to get started?

All new companies will be unique, when it comes to transport insurance, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Our tailor made polices cover the type of work your client will be doing, the type of vehicle or vehicles they plan to operate, the type of goods they’ll be carrying, and whether or not they intend to employ other drivers